Butcher / Meat Cutter
The Butcher/Meat Cutter plays a central role in our artisan approach to serving the highest quality meats at our small family owned and operated butcher shop. Come help us create the warm, friendly environment our employees and customers appreciate. At Country Village Meats your ideas and suggestions are welcome as we work together to provide superior service. You must have a love of all things meat and be motivated to serve our customers with the highest quality products and services for which we are known throughout the Lee county area. The Butcher/Meat Cutter is available as a full-time or part-time position.
• Process live cattle, hogs, lambs, sheep, and goats into dressed wholes and halves.
• Break down whole and half of animals into individual cuts of meat.
• Process meat into various ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat products, such as marinated meats, sausage, hams, bacon, beef jerky, and snack sticks.
• Cut, trim, and prepare portions of meat for use or sale in other retail establishments for our wholesale customers.
• Package meat for retail sale and customer specific orders.
• Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
• Experience: Previous experience in retail or meat cutting preferred, but not required, on the job training will be provided.
• Butcher live animals such as cattle, hogs, lambs, sheep, and goats yielding fully dressed carcasses for further processing.
• Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
• Grind and mix meat according to recipes then stuff into casings to form sausages and bulk meat products.
• Wrap, weigh, label, and price cuts of meat.
• Prepare and stock meat cuts and products in display cases to attract shoppers.
• Document customer meat cutting instructions.
• Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
• Help customers in the retail store and answer customer phone calls.
• Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
• Perform daily and weekly cleaning duties on various equipment and tools.
• Friendly, approachable, out-going demeanor
• Must have excellent communication skills in order to communicate effectively with customers, store leadership, and fellow-team members.
• Must have basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
• Must have the ability to work with knives, saws, tenderizers, grinders, and general meat machinery.
• Must have packaging and wrapping skills.
• Ability to cut and weigh various amounts of meat and seafood.
• Good judgment and decision making
• Time management
• Group health, dental, and vision insurance (full-time benefit)
• Paid vacation (full-time benefit)
• Paid holidays
• Retirement savings plan
• Caring, small team environment
• Sundays and evenings off; business is closed on Sundays.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
• Must have the physical ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time, bend, kneel, climb, balance, and stoop to grasp objects, frequently push and pull up to 100 lbs., frequently lift loads up to 40 lbs.
• Ability to enter coolers and freezers thereby being subjected to and withstanding frequent temperature changes for extended periods of time.
• Work with knives, saws, grinder, stuffer, high pressure water sprayer, and smokehouse.
• Some up and down stairs.
• Must have reliable source of transportation.
*The company reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities.