Butcher/Meat Cutter – Sublette, IL
Country Village Meats is all about meats crafted in the old-fashion butcher shop tradition. Our mission to make the finest tasting products via the artisan methods of years past and to provide friendly, helpful service to our customers guides all of us at Country Village Meats. The Butcher/Meat Cutter will play a central role in our artisan approach to serving the highest quality meats at our Sublette, IL location. The Butcher/Meat Cutter processes live cattle, hogs, lambs, sheep, and goats into dressed out wholes and halves. Breaks down wholes and halves of animals into individual cuts of meat. And processes meat into various ready-to-cook and ready-to-eat products such as marinated meats, sausage, hams, bacon, beef jerky, and snack sticks. The successful applicant will have a love of all things meat and be motivated to serve our customers with the highest quality products and services for which we are known throughout the Lee County area. Come help us create the warm, friendly environment our employees and customers have come to appreciate. As a family-owned and operated butcher shop, your ideas and suggestions are welcome as we work together to provide superior service.
The starting salary for this position is $16-19, commensurate with experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Butcher live animals such as cattle, hogs, lambs, sheep, and goats yielding fully dressed out carcasses for further processing.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Grind and mix meat according to recipes then stuff into casings to form sausages and bulk meat products.
- Use knowledge of scales, weight measures, and tares to accurately weigh and label meat products; include packaging and wrapping products and following the proper dating procedures.
- Prepare and stock meat cuts and products in display cases to attract shoppers.
- Assist customers with special requests and answer questions about our meat products and services.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Comply with and reinforce all food safety, sanitation, and safety regulations/guidelines/procedures and programs according to company, local, state, and federal regulations; identify unsafe conditions and notify store management; follow all store and department policies and procedures.
- Ensure that employees are performing the proper inspections/tasks to meet HACCP regulations.
- Review inventory for product rotation on a daily basis to prevent shrinkage and damages.
- Maintain required records including food production and inventory records
- Clean/sanitize equipment, meat cases, work areas, and sales floor, break down equipment according to procedures and continuously monitor area and sales floor for cleanliness.
- Self-Control – maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
- Integrity – consistency of actions, methods, principles, expectations, and outcomes
- Dependability – demonstrated history of excellent attendance, being reliable, responsible, and fulfilling obligations
- Concern for Others – being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings while being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Stress Tolerance – accepting of criticism and dealing calmly and effectively in high-stress situations
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Commitment to company values and strong customer orientation.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and experience in a food-related retail store
- Demonstrate proficiency in sawing, boning, cutting, trimming, grinding, weighing, traying, and wrapping techniques.
- Sustain a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Organization/Prioritizing skills
- Must be able to concentrate on the task at hand when working with knives, grinders, and other dangerous objects. Good hand-eye coordination is needed when handling knives and slippery pieces of meat.
- Basic computer skills
- High energy level
- English fluency – oral and written
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret written instructions, company policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from owners, clients, customers, and the public.
- Ability to work with retail math concepts such as addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, percentages.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Previous meat cutting/processing experience preferred
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
- Must successfully complete Food Handlers training upon being hired. The company will pay for training.
- Group health, dental, and vision insurance (full-time benefit)
- Paid vacation (full-time benefit)
- Paid holidays
- Retirement savings plan with company match
- Caring, small team environments
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to, frequently reaching, kneeling, bending/stooping, squatting, standing, walking on uneven ground, turning, extended exposer to the cooler (28-32 degrees), lifting/carrying objects 30 to 95 lbs., pushing/pulling objects 150 to 2,000 lbs., and occasionally climbing ladders/steps.
- Must have the physical ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to enter coolers and freezers thereby being subjected to and withstanding frequent temperature changes for extended periods of time.
- Work with knives, saws, and other meat preparation equipment.
- Must have a reliable source of transportation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities.